Friday, February 09, 2007

Anti-Valentines Day 2007!


Due to my descent into hell over January, I was not able to start my annual Anti-Valentines day series on time. So there won't be as many "Extreme PDA makes me Vomit" entries. I know my budding fan base of two will be upset over this but I will make up for it on Sweetest Day.

Anyway now on to the much anticipated announcement of this year's Anti-Valentine Day theme. This year instead of going on cleverly written tirades or offering a list of movies to torment your loved ones with, I have decided the 2007 theme will be BALLADS OF THE SCORNED. I know everyone is very excited about this- those of you who enjoy new music keep tuned, as I will be Searching out the vilest "love" songs that will turn even the most cynical lovers bowels into mush ....i see quiver with anticipa.,.....tion . By the end of this series you will hopefully have a painful and mournful compliation/playlist to entertain your guests on vomit day.

The first song for your mix premiered in 1995 as the showcase single on David Bowie's album Outside. Initially released prior to the rest of the album it provides an example of a new era in Bowies musical career. The music is dark and the lyrical content even darker. For this reason combined with the music video it has made my "Ballads of the Scorned", not as a representative for degrading PDA but because it has nothing what so ever to do with mushy clichéd greeting cards.
The video features images such as: a man pushing hypodermic needles through the skin of his forehead, referencing drug users sharing needles, and other such highly "unromantic" images. Many sources site this song as sending a warning message about the destructive nature of HIV Like I said obviously cheerful and uplifting. Actually it remains one of the music videos that MTV refuses to show because it's too graphic. What a bunch of morons.
Many might recognize this little ballad from the closing titles of David Fincher's 1995 film "Seven" (as many of you (or probably none of you) remember this classic made my top list of "Romantic" movies to watch with your loved one two years ago). So without further ado:

Track #1: "Hearts Filthy Lesson" by David Bowie.

Heart's filthy lesson
Heart's filthy lesson
Heart's filthy lesson

There's always the diamond friendly
Sitting in the Laugh Hotel
The heart's filthy lesson
With her hundred miles to hell

Oh, Ramona, if there was only something between us
If there was only something between us
Other than our clothes
Something in our skies
Something in our skies
Something in our blood
Something in our skies

Paddy
Paddy, who's been wearing Miranda's clothes?

It's the heart's filthy lesson
Heart's filthy lesson
Heart's filthy lesson
Falls upon deaf ears
It's the heart's filthy lesson
Heart's filthy lesson
Heart's filthy lesson
Falls upon deaf ears
Falls upon dead years

Oh Ramona, if there was only some kind of future
Oh Ramona, if there was only some kind of future
And these cerulean skies

Something in our skies
Something in our skies
Something in our blood
Something in our skies

Paddy, Paddy?
Paddy will you carry me, I think I've lost my way
I'm already five years older I'm already in my grave

I'm already
I'm already
I'm already
Will you carry me?
Oh Paddy, I think I've lost my way

Paddy
What a fantastic death abyss
Paddy
What a fantastic death abyss
It's the hearts filthy lesson
Tell the others
It's the hearts filthy lesson
What a fantastic death abyss

Tell the others
It's the hearts filthy lesson
Paddy
What a fantastic death abyss
It's the hearts filthy lesson
Tell the other

**Due to Yahoo being a total douche the music video can no longer be seen via Yahoo. I have yet to find a link that offers it, so until I do, you'll just have to wait in suspense**

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Susan,

You need to take pictures if you have an Anti-Valentine's soiree. Check out our wild and crazy marie antoinette valentine's gettogether lol.

- Carolyn

2/12/2007 10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent choice of a beginning song. Although, it frightens me that most of your fan base probably was too young to watch Seven when it first came out. Unlike the old among us ::cough::

V-day must die.

2/16/2007 4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Outside is a grossly underated album... i have to go with "the voyeur of utter distruction (as beauty)" as my favorite song to get it on to

6/09/2007 5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home