Thursday, March 02, 2006

Norwegian sushi....


Today I was sitting outside the cage (our little coffee joint at Olaf), and I noticed a sign...at first i didn't actually believe it but the closer I got ....hmmm...yup St. Olaf is now serving sushi to it's student population. Oh boy oh boy. Nothing like a plate of raw fish to get a person going. Now maybe if this was authentic sushi made proper I would be somewhat interested. However being that it is St. Olaf, land of the Norwegian sweaters belonging to a middle-class yuppies who desperately want to grasp on to any shred of international culture so people think they are truly connected with the world at large, .....I had my doubts. On closer inspection I found yes indeedy...this so called "sushi" was made from imitation crab. You know what I am talking about. That really wierd looking white and Neon red sticks, that are slightly rubbery, naturally fat free, and worth a $1.89 at you nearest food store. My first thought is gross....my next one is What the hell is imitation crab anyway....

Imitation crab....What is that exactly. I think this topic is worthy enough to explore on a blog. (this is for all you people out there who have commented on how worthless and pointless my blog is. Well bite me..., I have read your blogs and personally, I hardly see how going on and on about how wholly pathetic your love life is, or how much you miss your boyfriend are better topics for discussion. Get laid and shut up.....).....

So imitation crab, It sure as hell isn't sushi. I had my doubts that it was even made out of fish. My vote was on some wierd mixture of plants...Well this made me curious enough to want to know ( i was trying to avoid reading my psych homework and it was a great mode of procrastination) So on a hunt for truth, justice, and the pursuit of worthless knowledge that i will probably forget in a matter of minutes, I went to the fountain and source of all knowledge....thats right folks...Wikipedia ...

apparently it's actually name is Surimi (???, lit. "ground meat" in Japanese) : a product made from white-fleshed fish (such as pollock or hake) or lean meat that has been pulverized to a paste and attains a rubbery texture when cooked. Surimi is a much-enjoyed food product in many Asian cultures and is available in many shapes, forms, and textures. The most common surimi product in the western market is imitation or artificial crab legs

In the west, surimi products are usually imitation seafood products, such as crab, abalone, shrimp and scallop, however several companies do produce surimi sausages, lunchmeats, hams, and burgers. A couple of examples include: Salmolux salmon burgers, Seapack surimi ham, SeaPack surimi salami, and Seapack surimi rolls. A patent was issued for the process of making even higher quality proteins from fish such as in the making of imitation steak from surimi. So it actually is fish... I stand corrected .... thank you wikipedia.

1 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

Why, yes, i do think that that is the video that you speak of, i cant really remember, cause the last time i saw it was on pop up video on vh1.......do you remember that show? its pretty freaking sweet!

3/18/2006 8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home