Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Academics vs. Teachers


I have decided that I will never ever want to live or study in England again. While studying here has been a great experiences ...Sort of ...Well not really. I was really excited to come to Oxford, and I have had several positive experience such as meeting one of the greatest teachers ever...Mrs. Fenely...Thus inspiring me to change my entire career goals, meeting some great new friends..But overall I find the most of the professors here seem to be academics first and teachers as a secondary thought. Like its some necessary evil they can't get around. If one doesn't want to teach one shouldn't because it makes life hell for everyone around them...Particularly the students who are shelling out money for to learn. Outside of Stained glass, I could be learning the same amount by myself ...Hell I am learning it by myself. Oh of course there is that one hour where I pop into my prof's office for a nod of the head...But that's about it...Not much learning there. In that respect Some of my illusions about Oxford have been broken..Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I know for sure I would never want to pursue grad school here for example. I have started to look into what I should be doing to pursue a career in stained glass. I think that apprenticeship is the way to go...But I really have no idea. ..It should be interesting none the less.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home